Ancient University - San Ildefonso Major College
Founded by Cardinal Cisneros in 1499, the original foundation included a Mayor College from which a number of Minor Colleges depended upon The institution was transferred to Madrid in 1836 and returned to Alcalá de Henares in 1977.
The main façade, forming by a plateresque ensemble, was created by Gil de Hontañón in 1553. Several courtyards compose the building´s interior, the Santo Tomás de Villaueva Courtyard being the mist notable amongst them with a herrerian style; and the Patio Trilingüe (Trilingual Courtyard), which used to be a Latin, Greek and Hebrew school.
The Paraninfo, located in the old University´s Main Hall, was built around 1520 and has impressive Mudejar style covered ceiling. It walls are adorned with plateresque style plasterwork.
San Ildefonso´s Chapel is the oldest building within in the University ensemble and its decoration is very much as that of the Paraninfo. Cardinal Cisneros buried it..
Magistral Church - Cathedral
Its construction was ordered by Cardinal Cisneros at the end of the XV century, in the location where, according to tradition, the martyrdom of the Holy Children Justo and Pastor took place. The building, of a late Gothic style, consists of three naves with groined vaulting, lancet arches and ambulatory. The Magisterial Church is, together with San Pedro de Lovaina (Belgium), on eof the only two churches in the world owning such title, given by the Pope to all churches who had University professors among their canons. The tower-belfry is the Cathedral´s most remarkable exterior feature.
Built the bishops of Toledo as a castle-fortress during XIII and XIV centuries, it was turned into a palace by bishops Fonseca and Talavera in the XVI century. The main façade dates back to this time.
At the end of the XIX century it was a thoroughly rehabilitation by Don Manuel Laredo, who was inspired by Neo-Gothic and Neo-Mudejar styles.
San Bernardo Convent
This is one of the nine enclosed convents that still remain in Alcalá de Henares. It was founded un 1618 by Cardinal Bernardo de Sandoval for the nuns of the Cistercian Order.
The main façade, with its austere brick look, only open with its three stone fronts. The interior shows and elliptic ground floor covered by a great oval dome. Six chapels are arranged around the nave. Instead of the more typical altarpiece, the church has a rather curious "four face canopy", which allows the celebration of four simultaneous masses.
In the eastern zone of Alcalá, the remains of the Roman "Complutum" can be found: a forum with a basilica and hot baths, as well as numerous villas in the surroundings, characterized.
Cervantes´Natal House Museum
An example of the XVI century Castilian housing, it sheltered the birth and early childhood of Miguel de Cervantes. The house is built around a courtyard with a two-floor portico. The lower floor is devoted to the family´s daily life, while the halls and bedrooms are found in the upper floor.
It is the oldest operating health center in Spain. It was founded in 1483 by Don Luis de Antezana and his wife Doña Isabel de Guzmán to provide free assistance to humble patients. At present time, it still leads its present activity. The building is a typical Castilian two-storey courtyard with a pillar-supported balcony in the upper level.